Fall 2021 Referee Training:
We need more referees! Adults and youth players 12+ (but especially adults and older teenagers).
If you have any questions about getting registered and doing the training, please contact the Referee Administrator, Jonathan, at firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to become a referee, you need to do four things:
- Take the online "Safe Haven" and "Concussion Awareness" courses.
- Take the online regional referee training.
- Sign up for (and attend) the in-person referee training.
- Register as a Volunteer.
1a. Complete the online AYSO Safe Haven Course at AYSO U. Safe Haven course is the same for all AYSO volunteer positions.
1b. Complete the online CDC Concussion Course at AYSO U. The concussion course is the same for all AYSO volunteer positions.
1c. Complete the "Sudden Cardiac Arrest Online Course" at AYSO U.
2. Take the online Regional Referee Training Course. Here's how to find it:
a. Go to AYSO U.
b. Select "Online Courses" from the menu.
c. Select "Refereeing Courses" (the "Open" link on the right).
d. Select "Regional Referee Training"
This course will take a few hours, but you can stop and start it to take the modules when it fits your schedule.
3. Register for the in-person class on Wednesday, October 13 at 5:30pm.
a. Go to AYSO U.
b. Select "In Person Courses" from the top menu.
c. Select "Referee Instructor Led Courses" (the "Open" link at the right).
d. Select "Regional Referee Online Companion Course" (the "Sessions" link at the right).
e. Look for the Castaic course on October 13 (use CTRL+F if needed to search for "Castaic" if you can't find it easily).
f. Select "Register."
g. Finish the online portion before you come to the course on Wednesday, 10/6.
4. Register as an adult Volunteer or Youth Volunteer.
a. Instructions for registering as a youth volunteer (for volunteers <18yo).
b. Instructions for an Adult Volunteer:
- Login to Castaic AYSO Blue Sombrero/ Sports Connect and go to your account.
- Click on the volunteer button on the left (it's a silhouette of a person).
- Click on “Find Volunteer Roles” in the top right.
- Select "View Divisions".
- Select the division your child plays in. If you don't have a child in the program, select 12u-Boys.
- Select "View Selected Opportunities."
- Select the Card that says referee. Click Select so that the card flips over.
- Select to sign up a registered user and in the pop-up click on the user that you want to sign up for this position. The card will flip over as selected.
- Click on continue or pick show all available opportunities to sign up additional volunteers.
- Enter in your information, accept the various waivers and consent forms at the bottom and hit continue.
- BACKGROUOND CHECK - BELOW ARE THE ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR ADULT VOLUNTEERS
- At the volunteer page checkmark the box for Risk Status and then click on Renew & Update
- A window will pop up asking you to verify your information. Verify and then click submit.
- Another pop up will appear asking you to submit again. Click submit.
- Another popup will apper letting you know that you will receive an email to complete the background check process
- Open your email, you will have received an email from the American Youth Soccer Organization with a link specific to your registration.
- Complete fields to verify your information (email, date of birth, zip code)
- You will create an account entering a user name and password
- You will then complete the 4 Step process completing your background check. You will be asked if you will be paying for your background check, select NO, our region will cover this fee.
- Once you have received the Screen that says Congrats, you’re on your way to becoming a volunteer.
- Your AYSO account will start by showing your registration as Pending and once clear it will change to Eligible
Thank you for volunteering!
Upcoming Referee Courses
If you will be taking one of these courses, please contact our Referee Administrator, Jonathan Burk, at email@example.com for more info.
Online Companion Course (Half Online - Half Day Class)
Wednesday, 10/13 - Castaic
Thursday, 10/14 - Canyon Country (contact the ref admin if you want to take this one, or look for it on AYSO-U)
(Courses for other dates and locations all over SoCal can be seen on the AYSO-U site - follow the instructions above for searching for a class.)
Full Classroom Course (Full Day)
October 6-7, Wednesday and Thursday Eve, 6pm - 9pm (both evenings required) - Burbank