Volunteering for AYSO
Thanks for your willingness to volunteer for Castaic AYSO. We are an all-volunteer program, so your help is critical to the success of the program. Whether as a coach, referee, team parent, or board member, thank you!
But in order to serve as a volunteer, there is one more thing to do.
First, contact us at email@example.com
After confirming your availability and position, you must sign up on the Blue Sombrero website.
There is a background check fee for all volunteers, so please be sure to contact us at the above email first so we can be sure to cover the fee for you.
Blue Sombrero is a sports-league management system adopted by AYSO in 2017. Honestly, it’s a terrible system, with a counter-intuitive interface, and we’re being forced to use it. But the good news is you only have to get your info in there once, and then next year it will be simple to renew your volunteer registration. So even if you get frustrated with the process, please stick with it!
First: REGISTER AS A VOLUNTEER
- Login to Blue Sombrero/ Sports Connect and go to your account.
- Click on the volunteer button on the left.
- Click on “Find Volunteer Roles” in the top right.
- Select the Card that says referee. Click Select so that the card flips over.
- Select to sign up a registered user and in the pop-up click on the user that you want to sign up for this position. The card will flip over as selected.
- Click on continue or pick show all available opportunities to sign up additional volunteers
- Enter in your information, accept the various waivers and consent forms at the bottom and hit continue.
- BACKGROUOND CHECK - BELOW ARE THE ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR ADULT VOLUNTEERS
- At the volunteer page checkmark the box for Risk Status and then click on Renew & Update
- A window will pop up asking you to verify your information. Verify and then click submit.
- Another pop up will appear asking you to submit again. Click submit.
- Another popup will apper letting you know that you will receive an email to complete the background check process
- Open your email, you will have received an email from the American YouthSoccer Organization with a link specific to your registration.
- Complete fields to verify your information (email, date of birth, zip code)
- You will create an account entering a user name and password
- You will then complete the 4 Step process completing your background check. You will be asked if you will be paying for your background check, select NO, our region will cover this fee.
- Once you have received the Screen that says Congrats, you’re on your way to becoming a volunteer.
- Your AYSO account will start by showing your registration as Pending and once clear it will change to Eligible
ALL AYSO volunteers will need to complete Safe Haven and CDC/Concussion Awareness in AYSOU.org